13. Her first main big-screen position got here within the 1995 drama My Household, directed by Gregory Nava. Regardless of being uncredited for her portrayal of Younger Maria, she obtained an Unbiased Spirit Award nomination for Finest Supporting Feminine anyway. She misplaced to Mare Winningham.
14. In 1997, she landed the position of a lifetime, taking part in late Tejano singer Selena Quintanilla in Selena. Regardless of having labored with Nava, who directed the movie, she was nonetheless subjected to an intense auditioning course of. Her wage for the movie was reportedly $1 million, making her the highest-paid Hispanic actress in historical past on the time.
15. The filming of the film’s live performance scenes gave her the itch to pursue a recording profession. “Once I did Selena, all of it got here again once more, having that interplay with the followers and the general public, which you do not get in motion pictures,” she advised the Los Angeles Occasions in 1999. “I missed that very a lot. I missed the thrill of the stage, which I had early in my profession with the musical theater.”
16. On February 22, 1997, she married husband No. 1, Cuban waiter Ojani Noa. They have been married lower than a 12 months.
17. Regardless of their transient union, he is remained a thorn in her facet for years, forcing her to sue him in 2006 to stop him kind publishing a e book about their marriage, arguing that it violated their confidentiality settlement. The next 12 months, a court-appointed arbitrator issued a everlasting injunction forbidding him from “criticizing, denigrating, casting in a unfavourable gentle or in any other case disparaging” his ex-wife.